Sometimes I see pre-made meals at Trader Joe’s and I’m like, “Hmmmm, I wonder if that’s any good?” But I am usually so cheap that I don’t want to risk it.
Now that I’m pregnant and eating every two hours, I need all the food I can get all up in here, especially if it’s fast. So Ima’ bout’s to risk it. And I did. So you don’t have to. I’ve got two little gems for you.
One is a quick pre-made meal, the other is an ingredient you may not know existed in this store.
First, the Trader Joe’s Garlic Rice Noodle Soup Bowl
- It does pretty much look like the picture, especially if you transfer it to a real bowl (highly recommend for heat related reasons).
- Cooks in under 3 minutes.
- Tastes very much as you’d expect, flavorful and the noodle consistency was perfect, not too firm, not to soggy – just be sure to stir the bottom where some of the seasoning can hang out.
- Reminiscent of a better version of Top-Ramen sans the MSG (see more on that below)
- It was cheap.
- When I pulled the plastic bowl out of the microwave and hastily ripped of the lid, I got burned and spilled Garlic Rice Noodle Soup Bowl on my counter and hand;-( TJ’s can’t really be blamed for that.
- There’s a decent amount of sodium in this meal.
All in all, I am 100% buying this again and will eat it. Yumm-o’s.
Here is me trying to use the chopsticks ACCORDING to the directions…
All done with that.
Item number two with a recipe: Trader (Giotto’s) Balsamic Glaze
Why do we care about this? Isn’t glaze the same as regular balsamic? No my friends. A balsamic glaze is balsamic reduced by heat for quite awhile. It tastes sweeter and is a thicker consistency. It is not as tart. Glaze can be made on the stove in about twenty minutes with great attention or purchased in about 20 seconds.
Here is a recipe that includes this glaze, should you desire it’s company in your cupboard.
Chef Keeli’s Caprese Salad
I was introduced to this delicious little meal while visiting my husband’s family in Arizona. I was lying on Keeli’s couch very hungry and tired and pregnant, but doing little about it, I think a game was on. Keeli could tell I wasn’t looking my best. She jumped to her feet and asked if she could make me this little treat. She is an amazing human being who deserves an award for her kindness and attention to others. This meal deserves an award because it is quick, healthy and tasty. And it looks much better in person than in my photos;-)
- 1/2 cup of Mozzarella (I got mine at the Costco for about $10) visual below
- 1/2 an Avacado
- 10-12 Mini Herlioom Tomatos
- Balsamic Glaze
- Himalayan Salt
- Dice mozarella, avacado and tomatos. Toss into bowl, season with salt and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Done-zos.
I have eaten this at least three times this week, it’s am amazing snack or tiny meal;-) Thanks Keeli!!!
Did you know? MSG is still in most of Campbell’s soups, Doritos, Pringles (it’s actually why you can’t eat just one, the chemicals make sure of that) and many Rice a Roni and Pasta Roni’s (which makes me sad, because their Rice Pilaf is so delicious:-( It’s in a TON of other food items as well, and you’d never guess it. MSG is typically listed as Monosodium Glutamate on food labels. MSG turns off the signal in your brain that tells you that you’re full. It also makes your brain think the food tastes better than it really does (chemical flavor enhancer). Many people are allergic to MSG and don’t know it. It gives me headaches, a dry mouth and keeps me awake at night. Next time you have a really dry mouth, think about what you ate a few hours ago to see if had MSG in it;-) “The more you know” – shooting star with an 80’s celebrity 😉
Thanks for reading!